Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Comfort

For anyone living in the northeast, comfort is very important right now. For the millions of people who lost power, something as simple as a hot cup of coffee became a bright spot in an otherwise gloomy day. As soon as power returned, the supermarkets were packed with people looking to restock refrigerators and freezers, so they could provide some level of comfort for friends and family in the form of a hot meal.

Watching other people load up their shopping carts with everything from ramen noodles to canned Vienna sausages reminded me why comfort food is one of my least favorite categories of cuisine to develop. I love a hearty soup or a rich chocolate confection but I find the category itself to be a bit limiting and impersonal. The main reason people find comfort in a certain dish is not because it is rich, cheesy or crispy but because it hits a nerve and resonates with a certain memory and feeling. It takes them to a place and time where they felt happy and safe and, in my opinion, nothing could be more personal and subjective.

My own go-to comfort foods are a good example of this because of how varied and, some may feel, out of place they are. Scones, sweet milky tea, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (coconut-no nuts), heavily buttered crusty toast (sometimes with peanut butter as well), ice cream (any flavor will do - no nuts), spicy rice and beans (black beans - with shredded Cheddar cheese melted on top) and all potato and corn chips/snacks, to name a few. These foods instantly take me back to my childhood home, my grandmother's kitchen table, a sunny carefree day at the beach, my dorm room in college or my first apartment living in New York.

When it comes time to develop comfort food recipes, I feel like I'm stepping out of bounds. What if my readers hate peanut butter, think rice and beans are mush and could leave a steaming mug of tea to get cold without batting an eye? Not to mention that someone's idea of a comfort food can evolve through life. I used to loathe eggplant but just last night made a rich Thai curry with chicken and eggplant. The silky coconut milk and eggplant backed by bright ginger and spice from the curry paste warmed me from the tips of my toes through my satisfied belly.

As I watch the snow begin to fall on the next storm blowing through the northeast, I guess my take away is to realize that the content or recipes I create for those looking for comfort in their food will not resonate with everyone, but hopefully will resonate with someone.

On that note, I'm off to bake some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (coconut - no nuts) to enjoy later with a hot cup of tea to help ease me through this next messy storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment