Monday, April 4, 2011

It's a new day

Here I am. I am exactly where I never thought I would be: writing a blog. But it's a new day.
When blogging first caught on it seemed that everyone was signing up and then sounding off about whatever they felt like. Anyone who knew me figured this would be perfect. Finally, somewhere to put all my "opinions," of which there is a never ending supply. It seemed to me, however, that weighing in on projects at work was very different than throwing my opinions out into a universe of strangers. I mean, who really cares how I am learning to like blue cheese?
But, of course, I am wrong.
There are people who care. They care because they have the same experience or want to learn something new. There may always be bloggers who just want a place to vent but the majority are looking to share and learn and sometimes even just have a place to write.
So that is my plan. To share my experiences, recipes, tips, and, I suppose, opinions. This starts a new day for me so I thought it would be appropriate that the first recipe I share is one for a sweet treat to start your new day.

Banana Double Chip Muffins
Melissa Gaman



1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
2 large mashed ripe banana, about 1 cup
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/3 cup milk (I used 1% in a pinch and they are great with that as well)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon rum extract, optional, (I know you may not want to buy a bottle or generally dislike artificial flavorings, but I really think a little bit enhances the natural rummy taste of a ripe banana. They will still be great without...just my two cents)

Preheat the oven to 400F. Line 12 cups of a muffin tin with paper liners, or line up 12 silicone muffin cups on a baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Stir in the chocolate and butterscotch chips and make a well in the center. Add the banana, butter, milk, egg and both extracts to the well and stir into the dry until just combined. Divide evenly between the muffin cups so each is about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (or with a bit of melted chocolate, but no raw batter), about 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Cool in the pan (or on the pan if using the silicone cups) for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack until completely cool. Unmold from the silicone liners, if using, and store muffins in a resealable plastic bag or container.

makes 12 muffins

**Note: These "muffins" are tender enough to also be a delicious dessert...or snack...I'm just saying. Baker beware.**

No comments:

Post a Comment